Braedan Institute of Education
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cbox
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

living just isn't hard enough. [ebony - open]

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

living just isn't hard enough. [ebony - open] Empty living just isn't hard enough. [ebony - open]

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:25 am

The woods were eerily silent. It was odd for them to be this way, especially at this time of the day. It was approximately midday on the first official day of school. The first half of classes were over and most of the students were in the Main Hall, eating lunch. Some of them had ventured outside and were hanging around the Malfoy Fountain and the courtyard.

A twig snapped somewhere deep within the Braedan Woods. A deer came tearing around a tree, running towards safety. A few seconds later, a boy appeared beside the tree, watching the deer run with narrowed eyes. Jeremy glanced towards the entrance to the woods, before starting after the deer. He was slipping today. His hunting wasn’t up to scratch. He hadn’t had a challenge in so long. Over the summer, he’d had people to hunt for him, something he didn’t need, but his mother insisted upon. So he’d sat in his room, waiting for his servants to bring him his meal.

It didn’t help that today his mind was full of Ebony Braedan. He was hoping to see her again. They had a sort of… date planned, in which Ebony would dump a glass of firewhiskey over his head. This didn’t bother Jeremy, it was an excuse to see her again. And besides, she’d said she was looking forward to it. A smirk crossed Jeremy’s face. He wondered if Ebony could tell that Jeremy was twisting her words to make it seem like there was so much more going on.

Jeremy stopped in his tracks, listening carefully for the deer. All of a sudden, it was running towards him. Jeremy took his usual stance and waited for it to get closer. As it got closer, Jeremy pounced on it, knocking it to the ground and began to start his meal.
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

living just isn't hard enough. [ebony - open] Empty Re: living just isn't hard enough. [ebony - open]

Post  Ebony Braedan Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:16 am

It was only the second day, the first week always dragging by slowly for Ebony. A slow morning of lessons, only breaking up the day with lunch, people were still inside eating but Ebony hadn't really wanted to see Jeremy in lunch. She'd had enough of him, him and his stupid smart comments, and he annoyed the hell out of her. Ebony had instead, decided that it would be best if she took a walk around The Courtyard, and then walk down towards The Field. No one ever ventured down there, the younger years afraid of being yelled at, and the older years not even bothering.

Her slow footsteps treaded through the soft swishing grass, Ebony was thinking ,all sorts running through her mind. First and foremost, she couldn't work out why on earth Jeremy Halpsen couldn't get out of her head, why had she never met him before, if their grandfathers were such good friends. They had founded Braedan Institute, so Ebony should at least know something about him. It wasn't even that she ever would want to communicate with him ever again, unless it involved pouring a glass of strong firewhisky on his head. He intrigued her.

Ebony heard twigs snapping, coming from The Woods. She frowned, it was probably some dumb animal venturing out towards the fields, then she heard muttering, talking? Ebony turned her head, listening out for something, anything. Drawing out her wand, from the wand pocket in her skirt, the customary seven inches, and no shorter. She started heading towards the woods, her footsteps quickening, as she reached the border, where The Field ended and The Woods started. Slowly, she stepped over the border, swallowing nervously, "Hello?" it echoed beyond the trees, spreading through the mist-filled air.

Another crack emmitted from further down the path, she held her wand out in front of her, Ebony spotted a deer in the distance. She frowned, it was lying there, not moving at all. Not realising she had stopped walking, Ebony picked up her feet and walked towards the creature, staring down at it. It was covered in blood, all matted, it was disgusting! Ebony looked around her, that animal was probably around, she didn't exactly want to be next. It was probably a silly werewolf.. except it wasn't the full moon, and it was during the day. So what the hell was in the Woods at this time in the day?!
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

living just isn't hard enough. [ebony - open] Empty Re: living just isn't hard enough. [ebony - open]

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:45 am

Jeremy had started back into the woods, hoping to go further to find something a bit more satisfying than a deer. As he walked, he could hear something from behind him. Someone picking their way delicately through the woods. After a moment, he heard nothing. Jeremy stopped, and waited. He was waiting to hear if anything else would happen. Nothing did for a moment, so he started walking again. As he walked, he heard a nervous call of “Hello?”

Jeremy stopped again, and turned around to face the direction he had just come. Somebody was in the woods? Wasn’t it against some rule to be in the woods? And if it wasn’t, shouldn’t it have been? The woods were a dangerous place; anything could be living in here. Sighing, Jeremy started back towards where he’d left the deer. Whoever was in the woods had probably found it by now.

As he walked, he ran a hand across his mouth to make sure there was no blood there. He then quickly checked himself over to make sure none of the deer’s blood had splattered on him. He was clean. Jeremy quickened his pace somewhat. A familiar scent had entered the air, and he was now determined to find out who that scent belonged to.

He came to a dead stop, a few feet away from the dead deer. A few feet away from Miss Ebony Braedan. “Fancy seeing you here”, he said, confusion evident in his voice.
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:32 am

Ebony heard someone walking towards her, turning around, she saw none other than Jeremy Halpsen. "Fancy seeing you here” She rolled her eyes, still holding up her wand, "You're not even supposed to be here" Ebony looked from him to the deer, was he just wondering around like she was? Or was there more to it? "What are you doing here?" Ebony stepped towards him, away from the deer, he was only a few feet away.

She was staring at his face, it was strange, Ebony wondered if she would've liked being friends with Jeremy when they were younger. That is, if they got on, seeing how she felt about him now, Ebony couldn't see that being possible. Her eyes darted from side to side, should she tell Jeremy there was something in the woods? It was probably a good idea, he didn't even have his wand out.

"I suppose, you ought to know. There's something in the woods. It killed the deer, so you know, it could be pretty dangerous. I'd hate to see it take away my fun, of pouring that firewhisky down you" Ebony smirked, that thought reminded her of what had happened in the Main Hall. He was 'looking forward to it', as if! Jeremy just made it sound, ugh. As if she'd ever do that with him. Ebony had standards. She was just a foot away from him, having to tilt her head up to look at him. Why did Jeremy have to be so annoyingly tall, he had at least a few inches on her.
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:43 am

“You’re not even supposed to be here. What are you doing here?”

Jeremy watched as Ebony stepped away from the deer. She was staring at his face and seemed to be deep in thought. After a moment, her eyes started darting from side to side, causing Jeremy to raise an eyebrow. She still had her wand pointed at him.

“If you must know, I like coming out here to think”, Jeremy said. “It’s quiet, and usually, I don’t get disturbed.”

With that comment out, Jeremy raised his other eyebrow, and gave Ebony a pointed look, as if explaining the emphasis on ‘usually’. She was moving closer to him, and all at once, she was less than a foot away from him. Jeremy started his usual routine of blocking out her scent. He took a deep breath, and held it, his eyes still on the girl before him. She was looking up at him.

“I suppose you ought to know. There’s something in the woods. It killed the deer, so you know, it could be pretty dangerous. I’d hate to see it take away my fun, of pouring firewhiskey down you.”

Jeremy smirked. She’d hate to see it take away her ‘fun’? He resisted the urge to laugh. Sure, because her ‘fun’ was all she was worried about. “I’m sure I’ll be fine”, he said, taking a small, hopefully unnoticed step away from Ebony. He let out the breath he’d been holding. “However, if you’re so worried, perhaps you shouldn’t be here.”
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:38 am

"I like coming out here to think” Ebony didn't know how he did that, in a creepy wood, named after her family name. She still didn't understand though, did he come out here all the time? Not once had he been caught? How long had he been coming here? People had been found out here, so why had he not been found and sent to the Headmistress... ever?! “I’m sure I’ll be fine” Ebony shrugged, "I warned you" the rest was on his head.

At least she'd warned him, Ebony couldn't exactly shove him out of the woods. Hopefully he would get in trouble, just so long as he didn't mention her being here. Ebony looked at Jeremy carefully, “However, if you’re so worried, perhaps you shouldn’t be here.” a slight smile gracing her lips, "Why worry about me? I can look after myself!" Ebony spun on her heel, folding her arms, shuddering as she passed the deer.

Whatever was around, it was pretty gross, the deer looked like it had struggled and just been overpowered. She had stopped walking, looking down at the floor wondering if she should leave Jeremy here. Ebony didn't really want to care if Jeremy was in the woods with an animal about. Some part of her, was a little worried, he didn't even have his wand out. Firmly shaking her head, Ebony continued walking, she was being ridiculous.

This was just, Jeremy Halpsen.
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:27 am

Ebony stared at him. “I warned you”, she said. Jeremy just shrugged and smiled slightly at her. It wasn’t as if he could do anything else, he couldn’t tell her not to worry. He couldn’t tell her that it had been him that killed the deer. If he told her that he was a vampire, Jeremy would ruin any chance he ever had with Ebony. He was starting to think he didn’t actually have a chance with her. It was only the second day in, however, so he had time.

He watched her for a moment, and a small smile graced her lips. “Why worry about me? I can look after myself!” she said, and spun on her heel. She crossed her arms, and as Jeremy watched her, she shuddered as she passed the deer. Jeremy’s smile grew slightly, though faded when Ebony started walking away. Walking out of the woods. Thinking quickly, Jeremy hurried after her, coming to a stop in front of her, his eyes locked on hers.

“If you’re worried, though”, he started, “You could always stay in here with me. I promise we won’t get caught. And at least with you here with me, there’s no way whatever’s in here will take away your fun.” A light smile flickered across his face.

He could put off hunting until tonight. That is, only if Ebony agreed to stay in the woods with him.
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:35 am

Ebony frowned, stopping directly in front of him. “You could always stay in here with me. I promise we won’t get caught. And at least with you here with me, there’s no way whatever’s in here will take away your fun.” She rolled her eyes, trying not to laugh. He would protect them both!? Ebony wasn't even sure she trusted him with a pygmy puff, there was no way she'd stick around here with him. But. There was something stopping her from saying now, Ebony wanted to know what was going to happen, she was far too curious.. but curiosity did after all kill the cat.

"Alright" Ebony smiled, looking up at him. "I'll stick around for a while" She rolled her eyes, turning around, her hair flying across her face in the slow breeze building up. So long as he didn't annoy her again, what exactly would they do anyway? They had only just met, yesterday and already Ebony was with him, by herself, in the WOODS!? Where they weren't even allowed anyway. Just so long as he didn't go telling her mother she was with him, in the woods, that wouldn't look good for either of them. The Headmistress would immediately assume the worst, and she'd get an extra lecture for even being in the woods!

Ebony had no idea what she would do. What if the animal did come after them? Jeremy would probably run off to save his own skin, his was far more important than hers. Of course, Ebony would always do the same in return, to Jeremy. "If you do one thing!" She held her wand out, "to annoy me, I'm leaving. I'll leave you here for that weird monster, thing too" Slowly withdrawing her wand, and putting it safely away back in her skirt pocket.

Ebony really wondered if she needed to go St. Mungos. Really. She needed help!
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:20 pm

As she contemplated staying with him, Jeremy watched her. She didn’t know whether she could trust him, and she wasn’t sure if she wanted to find out. But something within her was stopping her from saying no, and after a moment, she smiled and looked up at him. “Alright. I’ll stick around for a while.” Jeremy grinned. Whatever doubts he’d had about not having a chance with Ebony were slowly fading. He obviously had some form of a chance if she was willing to stay in the woods with him, a person she’d only met yesterday.

Suddenly, the breeze picked up, and Ebony’s hair was blowing around all over the place. Jeremy hadn’t expected it, and therefore couldn’t take his usual measures to stop himself from breathing in her scent. Narrowing his eyes slightly, he clenched his hands into fists at his side, turning his head away from Ebony. Thankfully, at that moment, Ebony turned away from him, so probably didn’t see his reaction. After a moment, the breeze died down, and Jeremy unclenched his fists as Ebony started to talk again.

“If you do one thing – ” she pointed her wand at him “ – to annoy me, I’m leaving. I’ll leave you here for that weird monster thing, too.” Jeremy had to chuckle at that. He didn’t even know what it was about him that annoyed her, but whatever it was, he’d have to stop it to make her stay here with him.

He raised his right hand, putting his left across his chest. “I promise not to annoy you at all, for fear of you leaving me here, stranded, for the monster to come back and eat me.”

Now he had to think of something to do. First, he’d have to get her away from that deer. It really was a mood killer. Cautiously, he rested one hand gently on her back, and put a small amount of pressure on it as he started walking, guiding her away from the deer. He was guiding her further into the woods, a small smile on his face. “Have you ever explored the woods before?” he asked, looking down at her.
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:13 am

Ebony rolled her eyes as he chuckled at her, she didn't understand what was so funny, whatever she was doing she wasn't purposely doing it. He lifted his hand to his heart, promising he wouldn't annoy her. "Yeah, yeah" Ebony waved her hand, that stuff didn't matter, he was after all a Halpsen, greedy, skilled and ambitious. Her eyes narrowed, as he touched her back, making her walk the opposite direction to her exit path, walking deeper into the woods.

“Have you ever explored the woods before?” Ebony frowned, did he think she hadn't? "Of course I have!" She replied indignantly, just because she was the Headmistresses daughter didn't mean that she didn't break a few rules here and there. Ebony felt his eyes on her, what exactly made him want to talk to her, they had only just met yesterday.

Jeremy was too curious for her own good, she couldn't understand what he was doing out here at such an early time in the year, it was always the worst time to get caught. Not that there ever was a good time to get caught, but it was easier to not get caught in the middle of the year, when exams were going on. Professors were always too busy to properly check the woods, they were wasting their time anyway.

"So.. you're grandfather was a Halpsen then?" Ebony asked, it wasn't as if she'd heard anything about him. They were talking slow steps, walking over twigs and tree roots, not in any hurry. "Did you meet him?" She looked up at him, meeting his honey-brown eyes. Ebony had to admit, she was a little curious to how she had never met him, even if he wasn't in her house. Ebony knew plenty Halpsens and he was even in her year! She took a deep breath out, she had never met Raghnell Braedan, just heard many stories of him.
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:24 am

“Of course I have!” she exclaimed, frowning at him. Jeremy held up his hands in defense, a light smile on his face. “Alright, I’m sorry”, he said, “Not many people have, and after the way you got so worried about whatever had killed that deer, I kind of assumed you hadn’t. My bad.” As they walked, he glanced down at her. Ebony seemed to be lost in thought, and Jeremy wanted to know what was going through her mind.

Was she regretting her decision to stay with him? Was she worried about the ‘monster’ that was out here (even though the only monster here was him)? What on earth could she possibly be worried about so early into the school year? They didn’t have any exams for another few months, they hadn’t been issued any assignments or homework just yet. Their classes were barely just beginning. All the teachers wanted to talk about for the first day was how important this year would be. They’d have their N.E.W.Ts, and then they’d graduate. They’d be out in the world by themselves, and all they had to look forward to was receiving the Dark Mark and hoping like hell Voldemort somehow came back to life. So what was Ebony thinking about?

Jeremy’s question was answered when Ebony looked up at him. “So.. your grandfather was a Halpsen then?” she asked, “Did you meet him?”

Jeremy frowned. Had he met his grandfather? It was possible that he had. Jeremy couldn’t remember anything from before he was seven years old. He looked down at Ebony, who was looking up at him, waiting for his answer. Slowly, Jeremy shrugged. “I think I may have, before…” Jeremy cut himself off. He’d been about to say ‘before I was turned’, but he knew if he said that, he’d screw up any chance he might have had with her.

“What about you?” he asked, changing the subject, “Did you ever meet your grandfather?”
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Ebony watched him carefully as he quickly apologised, shrugging “Not many people have, and after the way you got so worried about whatever had killed that deer, I kind of assumed you hadn’t. My bad.” Her head sinking to face the ground, listening for his answer. It was silent, apart from their talking Ebony couldn't hear a single thing. Silence. It was nice in a way, Ebony was so used to the hustle and bustle that even just being just outside the woods her head didn't feel all mushy. She could actually think for once, without people getting in the way of what she wanted to do.. or think.

“I think I may have, before…” Ebony lifted her eyes, her head still in the same position, looking up at at him, what was he meaning to say? Before? Before what? Was she a mind reader? “What about you?” She shook her head, "I don't think so. He was too..." Busy. "Old", Ebony shrugged, she had spoken to her grandmother many a time, she was always telling Ebony what she should and shouldn't do, but they had always held each other at arms length, just like everyone else in her family did the same.

Ebony wondered what they were doing, walking through the woods, it was completely overshadowed by the tops of the trees. She looked up, her head tilting back, as she watched the trees slowly sway. It was midday, and the sky wasn't even blue, the sky was white. Covered with clouds, but surprisingly mild. She was glad for the robe covering her arms, ending right at her wrists, and not a little longer. "Do your parents work here too?" Ebony asked, this was beginning to become a bit of a mystery.
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:25 pm

“I don’t think so. He was too… old.” Jeremy had the feeling Ebony had wanted to say something else, but didn’t. They walked in silence for a while, both of them lost in their own thoughts. Jeremy thinking of more things to talk about and Ebony thinking of… Merlin knows what. Jeremy glanced down at Ebony every now and then. She was looking up at the sky – the white, cloud covered sky. After a moment, she looked up at him, her eyes holding a questioning look to them.

“Do your parents work here too?”

Jeremy couldn’t hide the hatred that filled his eyes as they narrowed into slits. His father, a lowlife, a nothing, didn’t even deserve to be spoken about and his mother, the ex-model who thought she was doing the right thing by Jeremy by leaving him to his own devices constantly. She assumed that because he was a vampire, he wanted to be left alone. Little did she know, Jeremy had craved some form of affection from his mother ever since the incident.

Slowly, Jeremy shook his head, looking down at the ground to avoid Ebony’s gaze. “Don’t you read?” he asked, hesitating before he looked at her, his voice filled with hatred that matched the look in his eyes. “My father, an ex-professor here brutally maimed a student and was sent to Azkaban. My mother, the ex-model, spends most of her time planning parties and ignoring her only child.”

Jeremy hadn’t meant to sound so… well, upset by this fact. He usually did a good job of not caring about what his parents did. This was also helped by the fact that nobody cared enough to ask him about his parents, so therefore he never had to speak about them. He shook his head, trying to clear his mind of the thoughts of his parents. The poor student his father had maimed was in St. Mungo’s, and wasn’t about to leave anytime soon. And Jeremy suspected that at this very moment, his mother was planning some form of fancy, extravagant party to show of some new item she’d bought.

He turned his gaze back down to Ebony. “And everybody knows your parents are both here. But do you have any brothers or sisters?” he asked. It was like they were playing twenty questions. She’d ask him something; he’d answer it vaguely, and then change the subject. It seemed to be working out well for the both of them.
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:34 am

Ebony took a step to the side as he narrowed his eyes at her, clearly she shouldn't have asked that question. Eventually, Jeremy shook his head, his words were covered with loathing, but she didn't know who at. “Don’t you read?” Ebony raised an eyebrow in return, was that a rhetorical question? Of course she read! She didn't see the need in responding, Jeremy started talking a few seconds later. “My father, an ex-professor here brutally maimed a student and was sent to Azkaban. My mother, the ex-model, spends most of her time planning parties and ignoring her only child.” Ebony gulped. "Wow."

She remembered reading about something, it was when her mother was so busy, that whole month she was running around. Ebony watched her deliver owls daily, whenever she sent one to her mother, it would take at least a day if not more for a reply. Ebony eventually would walk over time after time, and her mother would be out, at the Ministry of Magic, or say she was busy, talking with people. She felt a little neglected during that year, but soon she understood that her mother was too busy sometimes for her, Ebony had to deal with it herself.

Jeremys eyes were on her, hers reaching up to his “And everybody knows your parents are both here. But do you have any brothers or sisters? Ebony laughed, quickly shrugging. "I think my parents thought I was enough to handle. They don't exactly have time for two kids." She wondered what it would have been like, less lonely perhaps. A little sister would have been perfect, they would've played together and they could've gotten ready for balls, Ebony would've taught her everything she knew. Every spell. What to say to stupid bloodtraitors and all. Except, she didn't have a sister, Ebony was an only child. As quickly as she add thought up a sister in her mind, it disappeared just as fast, in a poof of smoke, she was gone.

"What about you? A brother? Or sister?" Ebony smiled, she hardly thought he would have siblings, if she hadn't heard of him, one person fair enough if a little strange. Two, and something was up.
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:46 am

Ebony responded to him with a simple. “Wow.” What else could she say, really? Jeremy wasn’t too torn up about the fact that he had crappy parents. He didn’t appreciate them the way he should’ve, and he did crave affection from his mother, but he wasn’t about to burst into tears any time soon. He wasn’t asking for sympathy. Ebony had asked him a question, and he’d responded. She was kind enough, however, not to elaborate on the conversation.

Ebony’s laughter brought a smile to Jeremy’s face. It was a nice thing to hear. She seemed to be relaxing around him, and looked to be having a slightly good time. “I think my parents thought I was enough to handle. They don’t exactly have time for two kids.” Jeremy nodded in understanding as Ebony fell into her own thoughts. She was looking at him again, a smile on her face.

“What about you? A brother? Or sister?”

Jeremy had stopped walking now. He was leaning up against a tree, his eyes fixed on her. He slowly shook his head. “Only child”, he responded, shrugging lightly, “My mother always wanted a little girl, but my father was quite clear on the fact that he only wanted one child, a son. His grandfather only had a son, his father only had a son, and so he only wanted a son. It’s like a tradition. I don’t know what he’d do if my mother had popped out a girl.”

In reality, Jeremy knew exactly what his father would’ve done. Whatever he’d done to that poor student in St. Mungo’s, well, that could’ve been the fate of whatever daughter he might have had. Jeremy often wondered what it would be like to have a brother or sister. He’d always wanted to know if they would treat him the way his parents had treated him. Would they have shunned him the way his father had? Would they have kept their distance the way his mother did? Jeremy shook the thoughts from his mind and looked at Ebony once again.

“So what’s it like having your mother as the headmistress?” he asked, “Do you have to be the perfect example of a student all the time?”
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:03 am

Ebony nodded, of course, the whole 'son' thing. Luckily, her father didn't exactly worry too much about it, but she didn't know what would've happened if she had had a younger brother. They would have spoilt him way too much. "A tradition" She slowly repeated, those were fun, only for a while and then they just get boring. Family traditions, of passing heirlooms down in the family was a good tradition but Jeremy's 'tradition' was.. boring. Ebony didn't know what it would be like to have a relative in azkaban. She had a couple of deatheaters higher up in the family line, from the old days, but they hadn't been caught, luckily.

“So what’s it like having your mother as the headmistress?” Ebony's eyes widened, very good question, but she had no idea how to answer. It most definitely had its ups and downs, but was she willing to share this with Jeremy. Would he go spreading it around? She could always threaten him with expulsion and a permanent stick shoved up...."Um. I'm not always sure. It's good and bad. All of the professors know you, and I mean I am her daughter, so they don't exactly like punishing me. Which is fun."

Ebony shrugged, trying not to laugh. "Yes and no. I mean, what alot of people.. students see, is a perfect student" She paused, how could she say this? "The people in our year, or at least, in my house know a little different. If I'm in here with you, am I a perfect example of a student?" She shrugged, "I don't think my mother expects me to be, all the time anyway. People just don't exactly treat you like everyone else, but that's good and bad too" It was a long debate, Ebony still had a question in the back of her mind.

"What's it like having a father in Azkaban?" Burst from her mouth before she could change her mind, Ebony stared up at him waiting for his answer. She had asked a difficult question, was his just as hard?
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:31 am

Ebony’s eyes widened at his question, and Jeremy felt the ghost of a smirk flickering across his face. The corners of his mouth were tugging upwards, and she was looking at him like she didn’t want to tell him. Finally, she gave in and answered. “Um. I’m not always sure. It’s good and bad. All of the professors know you, and I mean I am her daughter, so they don’t exactly like punishing me. Which is fun.” Jeremy chuckled. He had to admit, knowing the professors wouldn’t punish you because of who your mother was, would be an upside to coming to school. When his father had been teaching, Jeremy was in his third year. His father had been a powerful man, being a Halpsen, so the other professors didn’t enjoy punishing Jeremy. Henry Halpsen was well known for his anger problems.

Ebony was still talking about what it was like to be the headmistresses’ daughter. Jeremy focused his attention on her. “Yes and no. I mean, what a lot of people… students see, is a perfect student.” Ebony paused. Jeremy pushed himself off the tree, crossing his arms over his chest as she Ebony continued. “The people in our year, or at least, in my house know a little different. If I’m in here with you, am I a perfect example of a student?” Jeremy had to chuckle again. She had a point. Being in here with him was breaking at least three or four rules. As Ebony went on, Jeremy could see there was much more to her than a stuck up only child with a god complex.

The people in Jeremy’s house often referred to Ebony as such, and Jeremy had always been curious of that. Ebony had stopped talking, and was looking at Jeremy. Her eyes had a question behind them, but at the same time, she looked as if she didn’t want to ask. Suddenly, she just blurted it out.

“What’s it like having a father in Azkaban?”

Jeremy’s eyes widened and he stepped back, away from her. To say he was shocked was an understatement. Nobody had ever asked him that before. And Jeremy preferred it that way. How was he supposed to answer that, honestly? Jeremy frowned at Ebony, though he wasn’t angry at her. He hadn’t expected the question to come out of her mouth.

“It sucks, to put it simply”, Jeremy said. “It’s hard, because people who know that you have a parent in Azkaban tend to treat you differently. And they tell other people who don’t even know you, and eventually the entire school knows about your father being in Azkaban. For a while, I was the talk of the school. My father was famous for his anger problems, and that’s what made him hurt that student. So people assumed that I was going to be just like him. They avoided me, and if they saw me with my wand, they’d think I was going to harm them. If I got the slightest bit angry, the room would be cleared within seconds. Nobody wanted to be around me for too long. They thought I’d send them to St. Mungo’s or something.

I think it was harder for my mother, though. For the first year or so after my father was put in Azkaban, her friends wouldn’t respond to her owls. Nobody would want to spend any time with her, because our name had been tarnished. Nobody in the Halpsen family has ever hurt another pureblood before, and for this to happen, well… it just pushed my mother right out of the social ladder. After a while, she started pretending that my father wasn’t in Azkaban. She started telling people he was dead, and now believes her own lie. We don’t talk about him at home. But I know my mother misses him. She loved him so much, and sometimes, I can still hear her crying herself to sleep at night.”

Jeremy frowned. He’d neglected to mention that his mother’s room was on the other side of their extremely large home (what pureblood didn’t have a large house?). He hadn’t meant to delve so deeply into what it felt like having a father in Azkaban. Ebony hadn’t delved that deeply into what it was like to be the daughter of the Headmistress.

Jeremy sighed, frowning as he looked at Ebony. “Sorry”, he muttered, “I’ve probably just bored you.”

He searched his thoughts for something else to talk about, something extreme enough to change the subject. And then it hit him. Something nobody ever spoke about. Something every student at Braedan knew they’d eventually wind up with.

“What are your thoughts on the Dark Mark?” he asked, “Honestly now. What do you really think of the whole ordeal?”
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Ebony knew she had gone a little far, by the look on Jeremys face, he didn't look to pleased. He had asked for it, she hated asking that question about her mother. It was always difficult, and Ebony hated having to explain herself as well. “It sucks, to put it simply” Ebony frowned, she was surprised to hear that, but it was his father after all. She slowly nodded, of course it would be difficult having people judging you on the basis of your parents. She was shocked that he had turned into the talk of the school for a while, Ebony was probably two preoccupied, but to not hear anything about Jeremy?

It would make sense, people not wanting to be around him, some people thought murderers were in the genes, and it was terribly ironic, considering pureblood deatheaters, did run in the family. However, it was strange for his father to maim a student at Braedan Institute, especially another pureblood. Had Jeremy ever asked what the student had said to him? Her eyes grew soft, as he mentioned his mother, getting no reply from her friends.

It would have been lonely, having your husband taken away and your friends abandon you, with just your only son with you. “Sorry” Ebony gave a small smile in return, he had opened up a lot, in a weird way it made her relax a little, the barriers loosening. "You didn't bore me" She didn't know what Jeremy had done with his little speech, but it wasn't exactly boring, it was for Jeremy most likely. Ebony began thinking what it must have been like for Jeremy, having to cope with his mother crying herself to sleep, growing up without his dad around.

“What are your thoughts on the Dark Mark?”

Ebony stopped thinking for a moment, rewinding the words in her head. Had he just said.. He must have. She looked at him weirdly for a second, maybe he had hit his head when he was in here by himself, tripped over a tree root. "Excuse me?!" Her eyes were wide, and Ebony was more than a little shocked. You didn't exactly go up to someone and ask how they felt about the Dark Mark. Ebony shook her head slowly, Jeremy was beginning to become a little baffling, what harm would one more question do? Even if it was a little dangerous, to answer such a question, Jeremy was probably going to answer the same, if not. Ebony would just curse him into oblivion and have done with it.

"I'm a little excited" Ebony admitted, "Just a bit..." She took a deep breath, "Scared" Ebony quickly breathed out, "I'm looking forward to it though. It will be so amazing, finally up there with HIM. The mark part though?" She shrugged, "I'm not sure. Part of me thinks it will be ..the best thing that has ever happened to me and the other" Ebony sighed, "Doesn't really see the point" She whispered, swallowing as she moved her head to look at the ground.

"The whole thing, it's quite terrifying" Ebony frowned, "People have said it doesn't hurt.. but from the stuff going around, it hurts like nothing else. I suppose that's not even as bad as.. once you've said yes, there's no turning back. You're in for life" Ebony finished, deciding to perch on a rather large tree stump, laying along the ground, thick and bulky coming up to her mid-thighs. Looking up from the stump, she blinked at him before opening her mouth.

"What about you?" She asked, like for like, right? Ebony had no idea what he would say, but she had answered as honestly as she could, and that was something she never did. Jeremy had alot of explaining to do.
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:29 pm

“Excuse me?!”

Jeremy thought that maybe this time he’d gone too far. Even though receiving the Dark Mark was inevitable for all the students at Braedan, nobody ever spoke about it. Jeremy often got the feeling the Dark Mark was something they would have to receive in silence. They couldn’t talk to anyone about it, their teachers wouldn’t help them through it… they were to suffer in silence.

The shocked look on Ebony’s face didn’t surprise Jeremy. He’d asked his mother about the Dark Mark, and she’d given him the exact same look before running off to throw one of her parties. Nobody ever answered him. Ebony was shaking her head, and Jeremy got the feeling she wasn’t about to answer him, either. But then she surprised him.

“I’m a little excited”, she admitted, “Just a bit…” she took a deep breath, “Scared.” Jeremy was slightly shocked. She was scared of her inevitable future? Jeremy frowned as she went on. She was looking forward to it. Jeremy had to try hard not to scoff in disgust. He already had his own future planned out, and it didn’t involve being branded; being tattooed with something that would strike fear amongst the mudbloods and blood traitors. He didn’t want to strike fear in people. Not in that way, at least.

“I’m not sure. Part of me thinks it will be… the best thing that has ever happened to me and the other”, Ebony sighed, “Doesn’t really see the point.” The last part came out in a whisper and she moved her head to look at the ground. Jeremy had nodded in understanding, but he couldn’t help but think that Ebony was mad at herself for thinking that. It was almost taboo for the students of Braedan to feel anything but excitement for their inevitable futures.

Jeremy leaned back against a tree as Ebony continued. “The whole thing, it’s quite terrifying. People have said it doesn’t hurt.. but from the stuff going around, it hurts like nothing else. I suppose that’s not even as bad as… once you’ve said yes, there’s no turning back. You’re in for life.”

Not necessarily true. Jeremy was still frowning, lost in his own thoughts. He knew what was coming. She was going to turn the question onto him. And he knew what her reaction would be when he told her what he thought of the whole situation.

“What about you?”

Jeremy focused his gaze on Ebony. He had two choices. He could lie to her, or he could tell her the truth. Of course, telling her the truth could possibly ruin the relaxed mood they had going on here. But Jeremy didn’t like lying to people. He sighed, folding his arms over his chest.

“I don’t want it”, he said simply.
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Of course, with her question came the uncomfortability factor that Jeremy seemed to be experiencing. He simply said "I don't want it" after that short answer, Ebony was at least expecting some sort of explanation but he fell silent. Her mouth falling open, "What?" Ebony frowned, she couldn't understand why he didn't want it. Of course, that was slightly different that having to receive it, but not even a small part of him? Was he that repulsed by it. "I don't... why?!" She burst out, jumping up from the stump, sharply turning to face him.

It was, for her anyway inevitable, there was no avoiding it. It was in her blood, and her parents would make sure she received it, Ebony supposed, she preferred not thinking about the choice of refusing it, because she only had one way to go. "What's so wrong with it?!" Ebony raised her voice, she wasn't angry, but it was difficult to understand. He was probably in a different situation without his father there maybe? Or was he still receiving the mark?

Ebony took a step towards him, she knew it was a stupid question. She knew there was plenty wrong with it, but ultimately it was ridding the world of the scum that didn't deserve to walk the Earth. Mudbloods and bloodtraitors alike. Even if it wasn't their fault.. she hated thinking of it that way. Ebony liked putting a light cover over everything she preferred not to think about, smudge it so she didn't quite have to focus on the bad things, an optimistic view, however sick it seemed.

That was the other thing, they would be expected to kill someone. To receive the mark they would have to do something to prove their loyalty, Ebony would be quivering in her boots with that one. Still. It was better than being on the other side, cowardly but it wasn't exactly winning brownie points with anyone other than the dark lord. So what exactly was the point? As Ebony had asked earlier. There was no fighting it, you would simply lose.

"Why not just accept what you can't refuse? Ignore..everything else?" Ebony hadn't meant to say that, she knew one day that would get her into trouble, just blabbering on too much about something she shouldn't be talking about in the first place. Just steps away from Jeremy, Ebony slowly looked up, her eyes reaching his, "Would you?" She bit her lip, "Would you be able to ..kill someone?" Ebony shivered involuntarily, she hadn't exactly meant to say something to that particular wording, soon they would be best friends the way she was going!
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Her reaction was exactly what Jeremy had expected. Her mouth dropped open, and she frowned out him. “What? I don’t… why?!” Her voice was getting louder. She jumped up from the tree stump she’d been sitting on, and turned to face him, a sharp look in her eye. “What’s so wrong with it?!”

Jeremy scoffed, incredulous. “Are you serious?!” he asked. “What the hell isn’t wrong with it? Merlin, Ebony, you’re allowing yourself to be branded with the mark of someone who’s dead and has been dead for hundreds of years! He’s not coming back. Not this time. I don’t see the point in branding myself. I don’t want to be eternally loyal to someone who’s dead. I don’t want to have to ‘rid the world of mudbloods and blood traitors’ .What’s the point? They’re wizards and witches, just like us.”

He frowned, pushing himself off the tree. “And what the hell are we supposed to expect? Nobody will talk to us about it, nobody will answer any questions. We’re supposed to get the Mark and that’s that? We don’t have a choice in the matter? Where’s the fairness in that? I didn’t ask for this. I didn’t say, ‘Oh, by the way, mum, dad, when I go to school, I want it to be a school where I’m going to get the Dark Mark regardless of whether I want it or not’. No, they made that choice for me. I don’t want the Dark Mark. I already have a father in Azkaban. If I get the Dark Mark, I’ll just end up there as well. Great footsteps to follow in, wouldn’t you say?”

At some point during Jeremy’s rant, Ebony had come towards him. At the same time, Jeremy had moved towards Ebony. They were steps apart. “Why not just accept what you can’t refuse? Ignore… everything else?” Jeremy scoffed again, and shook his head.

“You don’t seem to understand, Ebony. If they’re going to force this on us, there’s no way I’m staying around to receive it. Let them want me dead. I’m already dead, they can’t do too much damage”, he said. He didn’t realise what he’d said. He wasn’t thinking. He just wanted Ebony to understand where he was coming from. Ebony looked up at him, their eyes locking.

“Would you… would you be able to.. kill someone?” she asked him. Jeremy noticed her shiver. The topic made her uncomfortable.

“I wouldn’t be able to kill someone”, Jeremy said, “So either way, I’m not getting the Dark Mark. One, because I won’t let them give it to me, and two, even if I did let them give it to me, I wouldn’t be able to prove my loyalty. Why on earth would I want to kill another human being when they haven’t done anything wrong to me?”

He said. “Though I suppose it’s inevitable that I’ll kill someone, given what I am…” His eyes widened in realization of what he’d just said, and he immediately scrambled to change the subject.

“What about you, then?” he asked, “Would you be able to kill someone?”
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 am

Everything Jeremy was saying made sense, but she couldn't listen. That would be going against everything she was forced to believe in, her parents had drummed it into her ever since she was little, and no way was Ebony going to turn around now, turn her back on everything just because of one little wizard. Ebony didn't want to think that it was just the deatheaters minds believing he were still alive, abd have that passed down to each generation. It couldn't be all for nothing, they would at least finished what he started. Jeremy was wrong, there was no guarantee he would end up in Azkaban, he could be a fugitive, or worse, dead anyway.

Noticing how close they were to each other, Ebony averted her eyes, Jeremy was ranting and raving about something that was very dangerous territory. If there was something else in this forest, anything, they'd probably both be dead for their confessions. She frowned, "Let them want me dead. I’m already dead, they can’t do too much damage"

Ebony took a step back, "What! You're not already dead!?" She looked him up and down, what was Jeremy talking about. At least he answered her question, Jeremy wouldn't be able to kill someone. Why were they even talking about this? No one ever spoke about such things and here they were shouting at each other in the woods. They were breaking about five rules, altogether.

“Though I suppose it’s inevitable that I’ll kill someone, given what I am…”

What was Jeremy getting at, "Inevitable? What do you mean? You've always got a choice" Here she was getting all goody goody on him, who was she Ginny Weasley? Argh. If anyone heard her talking the way she was, Ebony would be the laughing stock of the entire school, she would die of embarassment. She took a deep breath in at Jeremys question, Ebony wasn't sure if she could.

Could she imagine herself holding her wand out and saying those two terrible words to someone else. Someone that she wouldn't even know, even if she did that would make it worse. Ebony would want to block her ears, drown out the sound as they begged, as she heard they always did and shut her eyes if she ever managed to utter a word. "Yes. I would." Ebony knew if it came to it, it would be such a struggle.

It would be so painful, but if she didn't, she would be dead and so would they anyway. Better one life than two? Ebony didn't want to die. She'd regret it her entire life, Ebony was always good with faces, to have theirs running around her head forever. She would go mad, would it be best to live through that?
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:09 am

Ebony averted her eyes as Jeremy ranted on. She cut in where she saw necessary, and unfortunately, she’d heard him when he’d made comments towards his vampirism. “Inevitable? What do you mean? You’ve always got a choice.” Jeremy smirked. She was starting to sound like Ginny Weasley with the way she was talking. It was a good thing her friends weren’t around, or Ebony would be getting shunned right now. She didn’t seem to be looking for an answer from Jeremy, and instead was contemplating the answer to his question.

“Yes. I would.”

Jeremy’s gaze hardened, and he looked at her. She seemed to be lost in her own thoughts, not noticing the hard look in Jeremy’s eyes. Probably for the best; Jeremy had a habit of making people feel nervous that way. Jeremy wondered what was going through her mind. He wondered what she was thinking about. From the look on her face, it couldn’t be anything good. “I don’t believe you”, he said, shrugging lightly.

He suddenly seemed to notice the closeness between them, and hesitantly took a step backwards. “Let’s change the subject, shall we?” he said, frowning gently at her. “This one seems to be heading in the wrong direction, and I personally don’t feel like talking about it anymore.”
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebony Braedan Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:26 am

Ebony frowned, he didn't believe her? How did he know what she was thinking. If the time came to it, he might, he didn't know. Ebony would, to save her own skin, but the casual shrug of his shoulders as he said it, angered her. How could he say that, he didn't even know her. "I wouldn't!? Of course I would. One life is better than two" Ebony shook her head, he didn't know what she was thinking, they'd only just met and just because he wouldn't he thought she wouldn't. Well. Jeremy was wrong.

Change the subject? Why on Earth would they do that, when they were not even finished with that one. However, Jeremy wasn't exactly giving her much choice on that front, he would probably just walk away when Ebony still had plenty unanswered questions. "It can only head in one direction, I suppose" Ebony slowly agreed, returning to her seat on the tree stump. He didn't exactly suggest the next topic of discussion, merely standing there, close to where she had previously stood, silent.

She noticed how he brushed her questions away, ignoring her 'how can you be dead' and moving on. Slyly watching him from where she sat, Ebony slid up towards him, "I'm sure you knew about me. It's odd, I didn't know about you" She muttered, looking him over, "What did you mean you were already dead? You look alive to me" Ebony stared at him, he couldn't back out now. The cards were on the table all he had to do, was take the next move.
Ebony Braedan
Ebony Braedan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Halpsen Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:24 am

As she tried to convince him that she could and would be able to kill someone, Jeremy felt his frown deepening. He didn’t want to believe that. Ebony may have had the Death Eater way drilled into her from the minute she was old enough to speak, but that didn’t mean she could kill a person. Jeremy was sure she would, if the situation asked for it. But to kill someone on demand? That was what Jeremy didn’t think she could do. She agreed with him when he mentioned changing the subject, and Jeremy almost sighed in relief.

All at once, Ebony slid closer to him, looking up at him. Jeremy shrank back, away from her, taking a deep breath and holding it. “What did you mean you were already dead? You look alive to me.” Damn. So she hadn’t forgotten. Jeremy mentally kicked himself for letting himself slip up like that. How the hell was he supposed to explain that to her? He couldn’t come right out and tell her he was a vampire. Even though vampires had been around for hundreds of years, pureblood wizards were still nervous of them. They were still nervous of anyone who was ‘different’, really.

“I may look alive, but looks can be deceiving”, Jeremy replied, frowning. “You know what? Just forget it. Forget I said anything.”

He couldn’t tell her. She’d fear him, like people already did. And those people didn’t even know that he was a vampire. To be honest, Jeremy was shocked that Ebony didn’t fear or hate him already, just because of what he’d told her about his father. He frowned, looking at her.

“Why do you act the way you do?” he asked. “Why do you act like you’re the best thing since the wand was invented in front of your friends? And then you act like this –“ he gestured to her, “ – you act like you’re just a normal kid, like the rest of us. You tried to completely shun me yesterday, and today, you’re acting like we’ve been friends since we were kids. Why do you act like that?”
Jeremy Halpsen
Jeremy Halpsen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next